June 30, 2014
We love living in Atlanta, but the hot and sticky summers combined with frigid, dry A/C can be challenging when it comes to feeling fresh and looking lovely. But that doesn’t mean you can’t have healthy, glowing skin and hair all summer long. Consider these easy tips to help you make peace with our Georgia climate:
- Find a good sunscreen, and use it. You know to wear sunscreen when hitting the pool, but how about when you walk the dog, run errands, or weed the garden? Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen that offers UVA and UVB protection. Try Revision Skincare’s Multi-Protection SPF 50. It’s lightweight and oil-free, plus it helps build collagen to reduce fine lines & wrinkles.
- Wash your face the right way. Giving your face a refreshing rinse feels great and helps get rid of dirt and oils that gather on sweat-sheened skin. Just remember to use lukewarm water; this ensures you don’t strip your skin of natural moisture. Stash facial wipes in your purse to freshen up between shopping trips or when you’re sitting on I-285.
- Don’t skip the moisturizer. Yes, Atlanta’s humidity may feel like a free total body moisturizer from May to September, but constantly moving between cool A/C and piping hot parking lots can wreak havoc on your skin’s natural moisture balance. The result? Dry skin over-produces oil in an attempt to compensate, and acne breakouts can shortly follow. Look for an oil-free moisturizer with SPF protection.
- Stop fighting frizziness. If you have naturally curly hair, summer can be a constant battle for hair care. But it’s tough to fight nature, so work with it instead. Try a loose chignon or relaxed braid for long hair; these looks keep your strands manageable and flatter natural waviness.
- Dodge the sun at it’s hottest. The sun’s rays are most intense between about 10am & 3pm. Not only is this just plain uncomfortable, but prolonged exposure to the sun during these hours can do the greatest damage to your skin. If you must be out during these hours, have plenty of fluids on hand, don a stylish wide-brimmed hat, and wear sunscreen!
- Always have something to sip on. It’s easy to get dehydrated in hot, humid weather. Drink plenty of water throughout the day to help flush toxins out of your skin. Bonus: water helps keep you satisfied, making it easier to keep that bikini-ready bod slim and trim. Adding cucumber or lemon slices to a pitcher of chilled water makes it extra refreshing.
- Hit the farmer’s market. One of your first lines of defense against unhealthy skin is a healthy diet. Full of vitamins, anti-oxidants and thirst-quenching water, eating plenty of fruits and veggies is an easy - and tasty - way to give your skin a natural boost, and the best of them are in season now. If you’re on the south side, Atlanta State Farmer’s Market in Forest Park is brimming with peaches, tomatoes, watermelons and much more summer produce.
- Make summer your time to touch-up your youthful profile. Take advantage of the instant results and no-downtime treatment you get with injectable fillers (and take advantage of our air conditioning)! Fillers such as Juvederm smooth lines & wrinkles for about 12 months, making summer the perfect season for annual injectable treatments.
We may not be able to change the weather, but we sure can change how we deal with it. Taking a strategic approach to summer skincare will not only help you look and feel better now, but also is one of the best ways to prevent visible sun damage and maintain a more youthful appearance for years to come. Not sure how to get started? Visit Truffles Medispa! Our skincare pros will help you learn about all the ways to keep your skin radiant and smooth in any season.