July 16, 2018
The delicate skin of the face is particularly prone to showing signs of aging. Even the best skincare routines will give way to a few wrinkles over time simply due to changes in the natural structure of your skin. But even though everyone gets them eventually, concerns like lines and sagging skin can still take a toll on self-confidence. It’s difficult to look in the mirror and see someone who appears older than you feel. If you think that your face has aged beyond your years, you have likely wondered if a facelift might be able to turn back the clock.
The best way to find out if a facelift is right for you is to schedule a consultation with a reputable, board-certified plastic surgeon near you -- a consultation is an initial in-person meeting where you and your surgeon can discuss your concerns, your health history and what kinds of procedures are available to you. It’s also an opportunity for you to ask your surgeon anything you’re wondering about the process of getting a facelift. If you want to be get the most out of your time by asking all the right questions, this guide can help you know the best questions to ask your facelift surgeon.
About Your Surgeon
While your surgeon uses the consultation meeting to determine if you are the right candidate for a facelift, you should use it to determine if your surgeon is the right provider for you. It’s important to be comfortable around your surgeon and to feel confident that they will deliver the results you want. Every surgeon has different experience and expertise -- you want to make sure that your surgeon has performed plenty of facelifts with successful outcomes and happy clients. You also want to make sure that they are properly educated and licensed -- most important is accreditation by the American Board of Plastic Surgeons, which is the best institution in the United States for ensuring patient safety and quality standards in plastic surgery. To learn about your surgeon’s background and qualifications, consider asking:
- Are you board-certified? By which institution(s)?
- What is your educational background?
- How many years have you been practicing plastic surgery?
- How many facelifts do you perform yearly?
- What is the rate of post-surgical complications in your office?
- What is your preferred facelift technique?
- Can I see any client before-and-after photos?
- Do you have client reviews or testimonials I can read?
You will also want to learn as much as you can about facelifts in general -- there are different approaches and techniques, and it’s helpful to understand the pros and cons of each. Your surgeon is an expert resource for this information, and your consultation is the perfect time to pick their brain about how facelifts work. This part of your conversation will help you determine which kind of facelifts you are interested in, if you are prepared to take on the risks of a facelift and if there might be alternative solutions you’d be interested in trying first. Of course, your surgeon will have the final say in which procedure you undergo -- that’s why it’s so important to establish trust and feel comfortable with their recommendations. But learning as much as you can about your options can help you make the right decision about receiving treatment. To learn about facelifts, you might ask:
- What kinds of concerns can a facelift correct?
- What are the risks associated with facelift surgery?
- What are the different types of facelifts?
- Which type of facelift do you recommend for me and why?
- Are there other treatments that might meet my needs?
- What are the benefits of a facelift versus non-invasive treatments?
About Your Procedure
Every surgeon’s office works differently -- they have their own protocols and requirements, preparation recommendations and day-of schedules. What’s more, every facelift procedure is different; your surgical plan will be customized just for you to ensure that every one of your needs will be met. You’ll likely want to know specifics, such as when you should arrive, how long your surgery will take and whether you’ll need someone to wait during your procedure. Most surgeons have a package of materials you can take home with you to review including instructions, checklists and suggestions. But it can be helpful to ask your surgeon to explain their process, especially if you have questions about why they work a certain way. You might want to know:
- How should I care for my skin before my facelift?
- What should I eat/not eat before my facelift?
- When will I be expected to arrive for my surgery?
- Will I need to fill out any paperwork?
- Will I be able to talk to the surgeon before my procedure if I have last-minute questions?
- How long will my surgery take?
- How long will I need to wait in a recovery room after my surgery?
- Will I need someone to wait while I have my surgery?
About Your Recovery
The last stage of your facelift surgery is the recovery -- an approximately two-week period after surgery where you will need to rest and avoid many of your typical activities. But your recovery and your surgeon’s recovery instructions will vary widely depending on factors like your age, your health, your particular type of facelift and your surgeon’s preferences. Thorough written aftercare instructions will be provided, but just like the information about your procedure, it can be helpful to understand your surgeon’s particular recommendations. That way, you’ll know why you’re taking each step in your healing process and you’ll know which ones are the most important. Some key questions are:
- How long should I expect to be away from work? From social events? From exercise?
- Will I need help around the house?
- What kinds of pain medications do you prescribe/recommend?
- How can I keep my face clean after my surgery?
- Should I purchase any bandaging or first aid supplies?
- Who can I contact if I am worried that something is wrong?
- What are some symptoms that might require an evaluation?
- When is my first follow-up appointment?
If you want to learn more about a facelift in Atlanta, Georgia or the surrounding area, contact Advanced Aesthetics Plastic Surgery -- our expert, highly qualified surgeons would love to meet with you to discuss your needs. Our friendly staff will help you set up your complimentary consultation, during which you’ll meet with one of our providers and can ask any questions you might have about facelifts and the process of undergoing facelift surgery. Contact us today at 770-461-4000 and schedule your appointment at one of our four convenient locations in Fayetteville, Newnan, McDonough and LaGrange.